Happy Friday! Every picnic needs a side of fries with those hot dogs and hamburgers. Skip the frozen aisle and make them fresh. They are pretty simple to make, but they do need an overnight soaking before frying them, so plan ahead!
- Potatoes (We peeled up 6)
- Vegetable Oil
- Sea Salt
- Start out by peeling potatoes, the recipe where we got this, called for 5 lbs. Depending on your picnic guest list, you may need more. 2 Broke Cooks invited one other person over for dinner, and we shared 6 peeled potatoes between the 3 of us. So figure 2-3 potatoes for every guest.
- Once peeled, slice them up. The author of the blog had a fancy shmancy french fry cutter, but we just have a knife. So we sliced them thick, aka steak fries.
- Next, put them in a big bowl of cold water, and let them soak for a minimum of 3 hours, but the longer the better. We soaked them overnight.
- Heat up your oil.
- Place fries in the heated oil for a few minutes. For the first time around you do not want to let them get crispy, we’ll do that later. Rotate the whole batch of fries through.
- Now, throw the fries in again. Once they get golden brown and crispy looking, take them out and lay on a paper towel. Repeat until all fries are done.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the fries for taste.